This past weekend I moved into the city and I am no longer living out of my large bag, or more familiarly known as my “traveling studio apartment.” Chicago has finally become my home after a long dreaded job search and I can officially call myself a Catering and Sales Manager at Rockit Ranch Productions!
My patience paid off and I am gratefully able to pursue my love of marketing all while staying close to my love of food and restaurants. One of my favorite of the six Rockit Ranch restaurants is Sunda New Asian in the River North neighborhood. Sunda New Asian is an award-winning restaurant at the vanguard of America’s New Asian movement showcasing Eastern Asian and Southeast Asian regional cuisine.
My favorite item on their menu is their Crispy Brussel Sprout Salad… Yes salad, but let me tell you it is flash fried! It’s the perfect combination of the umami Asian flavors and fresh crunchy textures.
The Crispy Brussel Sprout Salad has inspired me to create a dish using these beautiful brussel sprouts, that are so much looked down upon! This salad was made to use very few ingredients and only take just a few minutes to add to any table.
Asparagus, Brussel Sprout, & Pancetta Salad
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
- 1/2 lbs. asparagus, trimmed
- ½ lbs. brussel Sprouts, sliced in half and quartered
- 2 tbs. olive oil
- Sea salt and pepper
- ¼ tbs. garlic powder
6 (1/8-inch-thick) pancetta slices
1 tablespoon freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with foil.
- Lay asparagus and brussel sprouts out on the baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil.
- Season with salt, pepper and garlic salt and toss to coat.
- Spread them out so that they lay flat and bake for 12 minutes, shake the pan, then bake for an additional 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook pancetta in a large skillet over medium heat 8 to 10 minutes or until crisp. Remove pancetta, and drain on paper towels. Crumble pancetta.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle with grated cheese.