I am going on my 3rd week of sticking to a vegan diet and I must say these past few days have been the hardest for me! Being vegan is easy…. until your faced with the challenge of saying no to every egg dish on that glorious brunch menu or it’s your moms birthday at a restaurant known for their succulent and mouthwatering duck. Going out to eat hands down brings out every vegans little devil on their shoulder. That guy doesn’t seem to shut up until the menus are gone!
I have to remind myself that I am doing it for the challenge! Yes…and also for the amazing health benefits that come a long with it, but knowing I have the strength to say no is something almost more rewarding! Cheating is okay too…it’s tough to just to cut out meat and all dairy cold turkey, so don’t beat yourself up!
I do want to clarify that being vegan doesn’t necessarily mean your eating a healthier diet. Yes, your cutting out the processed and antibiotic pumped meats, but your still able to eat french fries, fake fried chicken, oreos, and the list goes on. My first few weeks of jumping into the vegan pool I have allowed myself to try out the soy/tofu options to help me get started, but I think it’s important to remember that these processed products are almost just as bad for you.
Starting week 3, I am cutting out processed products as much as I possibly can. Adding in more nuts, beans, and seeds! So I apologize if I am posting a lot of veggie based dishes, but my goal by the end of this is to create a list of “go to” easy dishes that have you forgetting about meat at all!
So as much as I hate those “preachy” vegans, I now am one! Check out this creamy, acidic, and sweet avocado toast. No meat, no worries.
Balsamic Fig & Blackberry Avocado Toast
Prep Time: 10 minutes
– 1 avocado
-1 tablespoon olive oil
– Crispy thick cut French bread, toasted
– 4 fresh figs, cut into 8 slices each
– About 20 blackberries, halved
– Handful of mint
– Handful of basil
– Handful of Arugala
– Balsamic glaze for drizzling
– Salt & pepper
- In a small bowl, mash together the avocado, olive oil, salt & pepper to taste. Keep chunky, not too smooth!
- Spread the avocado mixture into the toasted slices on bread.
- Add the slices of figs (about 5 slices per piece of bread) and halved blackberries to the toast.
- Place mint, basil, and arugula throughout the toast. Drizzle the balsamic glaze onto each piece based on your preference. Top with a little more salt & pepper!