As I am sure most of you know by now, I love to make warm salads with roasted vegetables. I was inspired to make this particular salad because I really wanted to experiment with roasted endive. Endive is a member of the chicory family, which includes radicchio, escarole, frisee and curly endive. It has a crisp texture and a sweet, nutty flavor with a pleasantly mild bitterness. It’s delicious both raw and cooked.
I am all about using what’s in your fridge especially for salads, but with this salad I really went out of my comfort zone in the flavors and ingredients I used. This salad is a unique combination of flavors that are all brought together with the fresh citrus dressing. Perfect for spring and summer, I highly recommend this recipe as a great way to introduce a group of healthy and fresh ingredients to your table.
Citrus Endive & Eggplant Salad
Prep time- 10 minutes
Cook time- 15 minutes
- 5 Indian eggplants, cut into quarters
- 5 endive, cut in half
- 1/2 cup fennel. Thinly sliced
- 1/2 red onion cut into thin slices
- 3 cups of spinach
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas
- 1 avocado sliced thin
- 4 radishes, sliced thin with a mandolin
- Sesame seeds, bright green fennel fronds from the fennel, and cilantro for garnish
- 1 cup olive oil
- Juice of half a orange
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon dried basil or parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place endive, fennel, eggplant,, and red onion on a baking tray with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Roast the vegetables in the preheated for about 15 minutes or tender and browned.
- Meanwhile, place the remaining ingredients in a large bowl. Make the dressing by whisking all the ingredients together thoroughly.
- Place the cooked vegetables over the raw vegetables in the large bowl and drizzle over the citrus dressing. Top with sesame seeds and cilantro.