Anyone who knows me knows that I have a crazy addiction to watermelon. A watermelon a day keeps the doctor away? Well… I wish that was true!
So it’s absolutely not weird that I would be the person to put watermelon on the grill! This recipe below is the perfect dessert or side dish to any grilled meat and BBQ. It’s refreshing, yet caramelized flavor, pairs perfectly with the fattiness and juiciness of any meat.
Grilled Watermelon with Chili & Lime
1 personal-sized watermelon (about 3 pounds)
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon finely grated lime zest (from 1 medium lime)
1/2 teaspoon Chili Powder
Lime wedges from zested lime, for serving
Cilantro for garnish!
- Heat an outdoor gas grill to high.
- Cut the full watermelon in half, then cut each half in half again (quarters). Slice the watermelon into thin slices horizontaly (triangles).
- Season the watermelon: Combine the sugar, lime zest, and chili powder in a small bowl. Sprinkle the watermelon slices on both sides with the sugar mixture, then rub the sugar mixture in to create an even coating.
- Grill the watermelon until grill marks appear and the watermelon is warmed through, 3 minutes on each side.
- Serve the grilled watermelon on its own with lime wedges! Add cilantro for garnish. It’s always great to add feta or coat cheese crumbles too!