The idea of making pizza dough might be intimidating or just plain time consuming to some. The recipe below is a one that doesn’t take any pre-planning or overnight rising of the dough. It’s an awesome recipe, that is perfect for the grill!
Pizza’s on the grill are also a fantastic idea to get kids involved in cooking or for any party. All you have to do is prep the ingredients and the cooking is up to the guests, no hostess stress involved! Making individual homemade pizzas was always a wonderful memory for me growing up.
Makes up to one large pizza or two medium pizzas.
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 tablespoon instant yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2-3 cups whole wheat flour
- In an electric stand mixer fitted with the dough hook, mix the water, honey, oil, yeast and salt. Add the flour gradually until a soft dough forms and pulls away from the sides of the bowl. The dough should be soft and smooth (not leaving a residue on your fingers).
- Knead the dough for 5-6 minutes.
- Let the dough rest, covered, for 10 minutes. Shape the dough into pizza(s). First, cook the dough on the grill by laying one side down on the grill for 2-3 minutes or golden brown. On the grilled side, add the sauce and toppings. Continue to place the uncooked side of dough onto the grill until the cheese has melted and the dough is golden brown.
If baking the dough: Shape the dough into pizza(s), spread with sauce and toppings, and bake at 475 or 500 degrees on a preheated pizza stone or on a lightly greased baking sheet for 8-10 minutes.
Pizza Topping Ideas
- No sauce, but lots of veggies! Asparagus, prosciutto, goat cheese, parmesan, minced garlic, sliced tomato, and top with arugula once cooked.
- The traditional. Marinara sauce, thick sliced fresh mozzarella, basil, onion, minced garlic, salt and pepper.
- Sausage please! Cooked turkey sausage, sliced tomatoes, onion, minced garlic, basil, shredded mozzarella, parmesan.