It’s finally snowing here in Chicago, which calls for a cozy blanket, holiday music, and a delicious hearty soup!
This Moroccan Spiced Chickpea Soup was created by my laziness to walk outside to get groceries in this snowy morning! The blend of spices are really what makes this soup special! All you really need are some canned chickpeas, canned tomatoes, and quinoa… pantry necessities!
Moroccan Spiced Chickpea Soup
Prep: 10 Minutes
Cook: 1 Hour
-1/4 Cup Olive Oil
– 6 cloves of garlic, finely minced
-1 large Onion, diced
-1/2 teaspoon of Cinnamon
-1 teaspoon of Cumin
-1/8 teaspoon of Cayenne
-1 heaping teaspoon of Paprika
-2 (15 ounce) cans of Chickpeas
-1/2 cup of Quinoa
-1 can of Diced Tomatoes
-1 quart Vegetable or Chicken Broth (Reduced Sodium)
-1 teaspoon of Raw Maple Syrup
-2 cups of spinach, roughly chopped
-Salt & Pepper to taste
- In a medium saucepan, heat olive oil on a medium heat. Add onion and garlic and saute until the onions turn translucent and then golden brown.
- Add the spices and continue to saute for another minute.
- Add the tomatoes, chickpeas, quinoa, broth, and maple syrup. Season with salt & pepper.
- Bring to a simmer and then reduce the heat to low to gently simmer for about 45 minutes.
- Remove the soup from the heat. With a potato masher, Mash up some of the chickpeas right in the pot. Then stir in the spinach, put a lid on the pot, and allow the heat to wilt the spinach for a few minutes.
- Season again with salt and pepper.