These cinnamon rolls are my no yeast quick version! Still pretty heavenly if I do say so myself. I understand that sometimes waiting for dough to rise can be a burden, so give these a shot!
These cinnamon rolls are definitely not made with bikini season in mind, but even with these deliciously sweet rolls it’s nice to substitute out the fat where you can! The Greek yogurt icing cuts out a good amount of fat and calories, but still keeps the same savory creaminess as a cream cheese icing would have.
I feel like most people have a comforting memory with cinnamon rolls. Whether made from scratch or out of popped out of the Pillsbury tube, there’s something that always reminds me of home when I smell the sweet cinnamon bread in the air.
- 3/4 cups brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- zest of 1/2 orange
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
- 2 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup buttermilk (or 1 cup of milk mixed 2 tablespoons of lemon juice)
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- zest of half orange
* For greasing the pan and brushing butter onto dough, have about 4-5 tablespoons of melted butter.
Greek Yogurt Icing
- 2 cups plain Greek yogurt
- 1 cup of confectioners sugar
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- Grease a 9-10 inch cake pan, set aside. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Start with the filling. Mix all ingredients together in a medium bowl with a spatula until well combined. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, and salt. (I prefer using a whisk because it really breaks up the baking powder and soda and incorporates air into dry mixture to keep it light and fluffy.) In separate bowl, mix the wet ingredients. This includes the butter, buttermilk, orange juice, and zest. Pour the wet mixture into the flour mixture and combine until it creates a soft dough. Turn out onto a floured surface. (Don’t be shy with the flour.)
- Roll out dough into a 12×9″ rectangle with a floured rolling pin. Using a brush, brush on 2 tablespoons of melted butter. Spread the filling mixture, that you made in the beginning, evenly on the dough leaving a small lip around the edge. Lastly, begin to roll the dough carefully and tightly starting on the long side of the rectangle. Cut into 8-9 thick pieces and place in the greased cake pan.
- Brush the top of the rolls with any remaining melted butter for browning. Bake for 20-25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, start on the icing. Mix all the ingredients together until smooth. Add more Greek yogurt if you prefer a thicker icing.
- When the cinnamon rolls are finished baking and are perfectly browned, drizzle the icing over the top and grate a little more orange zest for a pop of color.
- Enjoy hot and gooey!