I recently visited an adorable little café in downtown Geneva, IL where my parents live called Moveable Feast. I came across this brand of extremely good looking nut butters, called Big Spoon Roasters. Flavors like Chai Spice, Peanut Cocoa, Almond Ginger…enough said?! My mind was automatically overcome with all of the recipe possibilities with these innovative flavors!
I created a recipe with breakfast on my mind this morning and decided to test out a vegan French toast. It then hit me… the peanut pecan nut butter from Big Spoon Roasters I had in my pantry! Lets do a stuffed French toast piled high with berries.
Don’t be turned off by the word vegan, you would never know! The introduction of the banana instead of egg actually brings forward a mouth watering caramelization. Also, the addition of the soaked goji berries and blueberries perfectly cuts through the creaminess of the nut butter.
Try it out, you will not be disappointed!
Vegan Almond Butter Stuffed French Toast
- 1 just ripe banana
- 1 1/4 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup of goji berries
- 4-5 slices of thick hearty bread
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup of nut butter ( I highly recommend Peanut Pecan by Big Spoon Roasters)
- Maple syrup and blueberries for toppings
- Soak the goji berries in a small bowl with warm water for 5-10 minutes. (Soaking will give the raw goji berries a juicy and less chewy texture to compliment the French toast.)
- Mash banana in a separate large shallow bowl.
- Add almond milk, vanilla, cinnamon and stir. (This batter will be very thin)
- Let batter rest for 5 minutes while you preheat a skillet to medium heat.
- Once the goji berries have soaked for about 5 minutes, strain the berries. (Use some of the soaking water in the almond milk batter before straining, 1-2 tablespoons).
- Once your surface is hot, coat generously with coconut oil.
- Dip your slices of bread into the batter, using your fingers to make sure it’s fully submerged. Transfer immediately to griddle.
- Cook until evenly golden brown on each side for about 3 minutes using a spatula.
- Once cooked, spread the nut butter on one side of each piece of toast and stack. ( Just like you’re making a peanut butter sandwich).
- Serve immediately and add syrup, soaked goji berries, and blueberries as the toppings.