At every single one of my family holiday parties you can always count on there being Spinach Artichoke Dip somewhere in the line up of appetizers. Believe me, I am not complaining! I love the stuff, but how could you not? The dish is packed with all different kinds of cheeses.
I know that eating healthy isn’t the first thing on your mind when at a holiday party, but I decided to create a new healthier version of my moms oh so famous Spinach Artichoke Dip. It never hurts to cut out a few calories without even knowing it!
I have used cauliflower in this recipe because when it is puréed, it provides the same consistency and creaminess as cheese. It’s my new “go to” substitute!
- 2 cups of steamed cauliflower
- 1/4 cup cream cheese, softened (1/3 less fat cream cheese)
- 1/2 cup of grated parmesan
- 2 cloves of minced garlic
- 14oz canned artichoke hearts, drained and chopped roughly
- 10oz package of frozen spinach, thawed and drained
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup shaved parmesan cheese for topping
- Paprika, for color
*I also recommend adding chopped water chestnuts into the mixture. It’s something my mom has always done, but it actually gives a little more texture and crunch! *
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Put the steamed cauliflower in a blender or food processor and pulse until a creamy smooth mixture. Using a spatula, put in a large bowl.
- Add the softened cream cheese, parmesan, minced garlic, artichoke hearts, and drained spinach to the large bowl. Add salt and pepper.
- Mix the ingredients together until combined and put in an oven dish to bake.
- Before baking, top the dip with more parmesan cheese and paprika to give a golden brown finish.
- Bake in the preheated oven for about 10 minutes. If you want more of a brown color over the top, place the dish until the broiler at high for about a minute.