I will definitely not take credit for the carved pumpkin soup bowls. This is a Shirley (my mom) staple for sure! One of my favorite High School memories was having all of my friends over to my house for dinner before the big Homecoming Dance in the fall. My mom served up Wild Rice Soup in carved out pumpkins (keep in mind there were about 16 of us…).
Ever since then, I want to eat my soup out of nothing other than a pumpkin! Warm up in this chilly weather and enjoy this delicious, yet simple Vegan Corn Chowder! In a pumpkin bowl of course…
Vegan Corn Chowder
**Use carving out pumpkins as bowls for the fall season!
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1½ cup celery, chopped (about 2 stalks)
- 2 cups carrots, chopped (about 3 small)
- 4 small yukon gold potatoes, cubed
- 2½ cups corn kernels from 4 cobs
- 1 14-oz can of coconut milk (1¾ cups)
- 2 cups vegetable oil
- 1 tsp crushed chili pepper flakes + 1 tsp of paprika
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 cup cilantro, chopped
- Heat coconut oil over medium-high heat in a heavy bottom large saucepan.
- Add in the onions, garlic, and celery, and sauté until onions are translucent.
- Stir in the carrots, potatoes, and corn kernels.
- Pour in the coconut milk and vegetable stock, then bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to let soup simmer and cook until the vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes.
- Remove the pot from the heat.
- Add the chili flakes, salt, pepper, and paprika to taste (Season with salt and more pepper if necessary).
- Garnish with chopped cilantro, sliced green onion, or pumpkin seeds are delicious! Or allow to cool and sit overnight in the fridge. I always think it’s even better the next day!