February, the season of Girl Scout cookies! A month I know I personally look forward to every year, but why have to wait till February? Below is a recipe for my favorite Samosas or now Caramel Delights that even vegans can enjoy year round!
My cookies are full of flavor with out the feeling of regret! They are not shaped as the normal Girl Scout cookies, but are packed with the flavors of coconut, almond, caramel, and chocolate. One of my favorite parts about the original Caramel Delights Girl Scout cookies is the chewy texture that the caramel provides. My goal with these cookies was to create that same feeling!
Vegan Girl Scout Cookies
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream together the coconut oil & brown sugar. Once smooth, add the almond milk & vanilla.
- In a separate bowl mix the flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Combine the wet & dry ingredients.
- Then fold in 1/2 cup of chocolate morsels and set the remaining 1/2 cup aside. Do the same with the shredded coconut. Add 1/2 cup to the batter and set the remaining 1/2 cup aside. Also, add the full 1/2 cup of almonds.
- Roll the dough into tablespoon sized balls and place them on an ungreased cookie sheet, then flatten them out a bit with your palm.
- Bake the cookies for 7 minutes in the preheated oven. Using the remaining 1/2 cup of shredded coconut, open the oven after 7 minutes and carefully put around a teaspoon of shredded coconut on the top of each cookie. You will then transfer the cookies to a broiler on high for about 1-2 minutes to toast the shredded coconut. (Watch this part carefully, so that they do not burn!)
- Remove the cookies from the broiler after the coconut is toasted and allow the cool for about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a saucepan, melt the remaining 1/2 cup of vegan chocolate with about 1-2 tablespoons of almond milk. Mix until smooth and incorporated together. Allow to cool and set aside.
- Next make the caramel or measure out 1/2 cup of the vegan caramel you purchased. Use the vegan caramel recipe below. It’s simple!
- Once the cookies has cooled, drizzle the chocolate and caramel over the cookies. Serve!
– 1/2 cup of sugar
– 1 pinch of salt
– 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
– 1 tablespoon of coconut oil
Combine all the ingredients in a saucepan over medium heat until the sugars dissolve. Raise the heat to medium-high and allow the caramel to come to a boil. Remove form heat and let cool.